Blue light acne therapy in Midland Michigan
Blue light acne therapy is a promising new treatment option for acne. The Blue light therapy utilizes an FDA-cleared device (Blu-U) emitting high-intensity blue light close to the skin surface. Blue light is absorbed by bacterial by-products called porphyrins, which kills acne-causing bacteria on the surface of the skin and helps clear acne lesions. Each treatment lasts about 17 minutes, and treatment is recommended twice weekly for a total of four weeks. Dr. jenniferNash and her team of skin care professionals offer blue light acne therapy in Midland Michigan.
- In published clinical studies, about 80 percent of patients saw improvement in acne lesions after completing treatment twice weekly for four weeks
- Improvement may continue for weeks to months after completing therapy.
- On average, clinical studies report 60 to 70 percent reduction in acne lesions in those who respond.
- Side effects are minimal and may include slight dryness or skin irritation.
- Patients with severe acne may worsen with blue light treatment.
Blue light acne therapy should not be used in patients with a history of porphyria or sensitivity to blue light.
For more information on a number of skin diseases, check out American Academy of Dermatology.